Category Archives: Central Vermont

News and events in Central Vermont

Pair charged in Goddard break-ins

State Police have charged Douglas F. Burns, 23, and Adrianna S. Egidio, 23, both of Barre, with burglary in relation to two separate incidents at Goddard College in Plainfield.

The most recent incident occurred between Jan. 12 and the morning of Jan. 14, when college staff reported multiple buildings broken into. A similar burglary had happened in November of last year and was reported on Nov. 26, when cash and a campus cell phone were reported stolen. However, this time a personal shopping card was found and the owner was identified as Egidio, police said. On investigation, police concluded that Egidio and her boyfriend Burns were responsible for both burglaries.

The pair have been charged with two counts of burglary each and are cited to appear in Washington County Court on March 14.

Norwich exceeds fundraising goal

NORWICH — Officials at Vermont’s Norwich University say they’ve exceeded their goal for a fundraising campaign they called “Bearing the Torch.”
The three-year campaign by the Northfield university that lasted through the end of 2012 raised about $24 million, exceeding its original goal of $20.2 million.
It was the fifth Norwich fundraising campaign in a row that exceeded its goal since 1984 when the school launched “Norwich 2000.”
The campaign largely supports a scholarship endowment.
Funds raised also support campus infrastructure, including the building of the Shaw Outdoor Center and the renovation of Sabine Field.
Norwich describes itself as the nation’s oldest private military college, but it also has civilian students.

Norwich to display alumni Civil War landscapes

NORTHFIELD — Vermont’s Norwich University is going to be displaying landscape drawings created by graduates and others from the American Civil War.
The exhibit opening Monday at Norwich’s Sullivan Museum and History Center is entitled “Useful and Elegant Accomplishments.”
Many of the drawings in this exhibit were produced by Norwich students or alumni who were involved in the American Civil War. The show complements the Sullivan Museum’s ongoing series of exhibitions commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War.

Did you win the million-dollar lottery prize in Berlin?

Jeb Wallace-Brodeur / Staff PhotoKodey Refrew of Williamstown rings up a Mega Millions lottery ticket at the Maplewood convenience store in Berlin on Friday. Vermont Lottery officials have announced that a $1,000,000 Vermont Mega Millions ticket was sold at the store.  The winning ticket matched five out of five numbers, not including the Megaball, in the January 8th, 2013 drawing.  By adding the $1 Megaplier option, the winner quadrupled their prize amount of $250,000 to $1,000,000.

Jeb Wallace-Brodeur / Staff Photo
Kodey Refrew of Williamstown rings up a Mega Millions lottery ticket at the Maplewood convenience store in Berlin on Friday. Vermont Lottery officials have announced that a $1,000,000 Vermont Mega Millions ticket was sold at the store. The winning ticket matched five out of five numbers, not including the Megaball, in the January 8th, 2013 drawing. By adding the $1 Megaplier option, the winner quadrupled their prize amount of $250,000 to $1,000,000.

BERLIN — Someone who bought a lottery ticket in central Vermont has just won $1 million from the Vermont Lottery.
Officials for the lottery announced the winning ticket Friday, saying it was purchased at the Maplewood convenience store in Berlin for Tuesday’s drawing. The prize amount for the ticket was $250,000, but the ticket holder purchased a $1 Megaplier option, quadrupling the prize to $1 million. The name of the winner has not been released.
All Vermont Lottery agents receive an extra commission for all tickets sold in their stores that win $500 or more. In a news release, Maplewood Manager Janice Beach said, “It’s like being rewarded for services we provide every day to local people. We’re very happy it was sold at our store.”
Overall, there were 478 winning Vermont tickets in this drawing.

Teen charged with breaking 100 mph

ROYALTON — Vermont State Police say a 19-year-old man is accused of driving 102 mph in a 65 mph zone on Interstate 89.
Vincent Flores of Burlington was stopped about 6:15 p.m. on New Year’s Eve near Exit 3 in Royalton.
The Burlington Free Press reports (http://bfpne.ws/UR4mqR) he’s been charged with negligent operation. He’s scheduled to be in court on Jan. 29.

Statehouse preparing for unusual inaugural

MONTPELIER — Preparations continue for an unusual Vermont inaugural celebration.
Instead of the traditional ball, Gov. Peter Shumlin is ushering in his second term with a special open house combined with a fundraiser for Irene recovery relief on Jan. 10 at the Statehouse in Montpelier.
The 4:30 p.m. even will follow the governor’s swearing-in and inaugural speech to lawmakers earlier in the day.
Shumlin is asking businesses and individuals to donate what they might normally contribute toward the ball instead to the Vermont Disaster Relief Fund.
That fund is helping continuing efforts to recover from Tropical Storm Irene 16 months ago.

Berlin home a total loss after fire

Mark Collier / Staff photoFirefighters train water on a burning home in Berlin on Wednesday night.

Mark Collier / Staff photo
Firefighters train water on a burning home in Berlin on Wednesday night. For a complete photo gallery, please click here.

BERLIN — A fire destroyed a four-and-half-story barn and historical home at the Towne-Ayr farm on Three Mile Bridge Road late Wednesday.

“Unfortunately, it’s an old house, and old barns go up very fast,” Berlin Fire Chief Miles Silk Jr. said. “(The barn) was almost on the ground when East Montpelier [Fire Dept.] got here, and they’re closer than we are.”

Passerbys on Interstate 89 could see the fire, which eventually leveled the barn and home, both built in the 1800s. Dispatchers first heard the call around 8:43 p.m., and fire crews worked overnight. The firefighting response was called off around 5:30 a.m. Thursday.

The home belonged to Brad Towne and his wife, Rita. Brad Towne’s mother, long-time state Rep. Ruth Towne had also lived in the home.

Rita Towne was the sole family member home at the time of the fire, and escaped after a passing motorist alerted her.
Flames quickly spread from the barn to the home.
Rita Towne said many neighbors helped her corral 12 horses and a pony that had been in a second barn that was unaffected. While the home burned, the animals were secured in a fenced area away from the fire.

The initial fire dispatches suggested the burning barn held animals, but Rita Towne later said that was not the case.
At 10:21 p.m., a winter portion of the 20-plus room home was still standing but fully engulfed on both floors. All that remained of the hay barn was a few portions of the side walls near the base of the structure.

Rita Towne said the barn and home were insured.
Tanker trucks were called to the scene from several communities, and crews pulled water from the river.
Berlin firefighters had assistance from some 10 other area fire departments.
A State Police detective and a fire investigator with the state also evaluated the scene, and officials determined the fire was caused by a piece of farm equipment parked in the barn. The fire was not considered suspicious.

The value of the loss is estimated at at least $200,000.

Ruth Towne, who passed away in 2007, served in the General Assembly for 26 years, and for several years she chaired the House Agriculture Committee.

-David Taube

Car thieves go on spree in Calais

CALAIS — State Police believe three men were involved in a car-stealing spree early Friday morning in Calais.
The group was allegedly responsible for numerous thefts from unlocked vehicles and multiple stolen vehicles being crashed off-road.
Police said the perpetrators stole items from unlocked vehicles at area residences, apparently drove away with a vehicle if the keys had been left inside, then crashed the stolen vehicles.
“It looks like they were just going through vehicles, trying to loot whatever they could find, then just take whatever car they could find to continue their little rant,” State Police Trooper Alex Comtois said.
The first vehicle that was ditched was a Jeep registered to an address in Colchester. It had slid off a snow-covered Luce Road, Comtois said.
A little farther north, the group stole a van before sliding off the same road, he said.
Also, a Honda CR-V on Max Gray Road about two miles away was stolen from a garage, police said.
In each case, Comtois said he didn’t believe the vehicles had been hot-wired.
The thieves rifled through at least six vehicles altogether, according to officials, stealing cell phones, GPS devices, and purses.
Police received the call for assistance shortly after 2 a.m. and because of the slippery road conditions, it took them about 45 minutes to arrive.
State Police ask anyone with information to call the Middlesex barracks at 229-9191 or Vermont Crime Stoppers at 1-800-529-9998.
“They took the final vehicle,” Comtois said. “That’s what we’re looking for now.”
[email protected]
timesargus.com

Two cars stolen in Central Vermont

BARRE — Vermont State Police say two vehicles were stolen in Central Vermont sometime Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning.
Norman Illsley, 64, of Braintree, reported his red 2003 Chevrolet truck stolen from his driveway. Tanya Frazier, 44, of Randolph, also reported her black 2011 Dodge Avenger stolen from her driveway.
The Avenger was later recovered in Barre City with minor damage.
State police remind drivers to remove their keys, lock their vehicles and take any valuables with them.
Anyone with information about the stolen vehicles is asked to contact the Royalton barracks at 802-234-9933.

Police charge four juveniles for fake bomb threats at Spaulding

BARRE — Police in Barre say four juveniles are facing charges stemming from two false bomb threats at the Vermont city’s Spaulding High School.
Police say there have been three bomb treats at Spaulding since Nov. 20, the most recent Tuesday.
In each case the threat was reported after a note was found in a common area of the school. In each case the school was searched but nothing unusual was found.
On Tuesday police and school officials identified the four juveniles and cited them into court on charges of “causing false public alarm” stemming from the first two threats. The origin of the Tuesday threat remains under investigation.