MONTPELIER — Preparations continue for an unusual Vermont inaugural celebration.
Instead of the traditional ball, Gov. Peter Shumlin is ushering in his second term with a special open house combined with a fundraiser for Irene recovery relief on Jan. 10 at the Statehouse in Montpelier.
The 4:30 p.m. even will follow the governor’s swearing-in and inaugural speech to lawmakers earlier in the day.
Shumlin is asking businesses and individuals to donate what they might normally contribute toward the ball instead to the Vermont Disaster Relief Fund.
That fund is helping continuing efforts to recover from Tropical Storm Irene 16 months ago.
- RobinAHersey on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- BTresident on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- lorac odraned on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on St. Michael’s student arrested in connection with bridge jump