SPRINGFIELD — A fire Wednesday morning at Cavendish Game Birds of
Vermont on Woodbury RoadÂ killed 20,000 quail at the specialty food
No one was hurt during the fire at the farm, which was discovered by
owner Rick Thompson when an alarm on the farmâ€™s power source to its
hatchery building went off.
Thompson said that the large barn, which housed the farmâ€™s 20,000
breeder quail, was destroyed. But he said the barn was insured and that
his family would rebuild and get back in business as soon as they could.
About 14 people are employed at the farmâ€™s two locations in
Springfield, including 10 at the farmâ€™s quail-processing facility on
The fire also destroyed about 30 Berkshire pigs that the farm was
starting to raise.
- RobinAHersey on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- BTresident on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- lorac odraned on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on St. Michaelâ€™s student arrested in connection with bridge jump