VERNON — Nine members of the Shut-It-Down Affinity Support Group were arrested Tuesday afternoon outside the gates of the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant as a “die-in” protesting the plant’s continued operation.
The nine women — including Julia Bonafine of Shrewsbury and Martha Hennessy of Weathersfield — were arrested by Vermont State Police troopers and charged with trespassing. The women were not given a court date, they said. The other protesters were from Massachusetts.
It was the group’s 20th action at either Vermont Yankee or its corporate offices since December 2005.
The group said it wanted to bring attention to radiation hazards associated with nuclear power.
- RobinAHersey on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- BTresident on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- lorac odraned on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on St. Michael’s student arrested in connection with bridge jump