BURLINGTON — The trial for a Vermont man charged with kidnapping and killing his 12-year-old niece in 2008 is at least a year away.
A federal appeals court in New York has sent the case of Michael Jacques back to Vermont for trial.
Jacques has pleaded not guilty to the death of Brooke Bennett. Federal prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York recently turned down a defense request to reconsider its decision allowing prosecutors
to use evidence that Jacques tried to shift blame for the killing to a make-believe international sex ring.
The Burlington Free Press reports Judge William Sessions has estimated the trial could last as long as four months. He scheduled a start date for Sept. 3, 2013.
- RobinAHersey on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- BTresident on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- lorac odraned on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on St. Michael’s student arrested in connection with bridge jump