SOUTH BURLINGTON — Business leaders have gathered 11,000 petition signatures in support of a plan to base F-35 jet fighters at the Vermont Air Guard Base in South Burlington.
Frank Cioffi of the Lake Champlain Chamber of Commerce says the signatures reflect widespread regional support for the proposal. The petitions were placed in stores and gas stations in northwestern Vermont.
Vermont Public Radio reports the chamber is asking the City Council in South Burlington to reverse its previous vote that rejected locating the jets at the base, which is at Burlington International Airport.
Neighborhoods have been concerned about the noise level. The chamber maintains the Guard is an important economic asset to the region.
- RobinAHersey on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- BTresident on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- lorac odraned on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on St. Michael’s student arrested in connection with bridge jump