BURLINGTON — A jury trial is about to begin for a Vermont woman who’s charged with texting while driving and injuring a pedestrian.
The Burlington Free Press says 19-year-old Emma Vieira’s trial opens today, now that a jury’s been chosen. Vieira denies the charges.
Defense attorney Sarah Reed and Chittenden County Deputy State’s Attorney Paul Finnerty say they expect the trial to run four days.
Vieira pleaded not guilty to one count of grossly negligent operation of a motor vehicle resulting in serious injury. If convicted, she faces up to 15 years in prison.
- RobinAHersey on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- BTresident on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- lorac odraned on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on St. Michael’s student arrested in connection with bridge jump