BURLINGTON— The Burlington City Council is supporting a proposed ban on assault rifles and multiple ammunition clips in the city.
The resolution passed the Council on a 10-3 vote Monday night. It was proposed by council member Norm Blais in the wake of the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., last month.
The resolution was met with opposition by gun owners, hunters and others in Contois Auditorium, advocating that the city do more to actively support responsible gun ownership.
The resolution would need to go before a committee, eventually be voted on by the public and then sent to the Legislature before it could be approved.
- RobinAHersey on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- BTresident on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- lorac odraned on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on St. Michael’s student arrested in connection with bridge jump