SWANTON — State police fire investigators have concluded that a discarded cigarette outside a home in Swanton caused a fire that destroyed a home early Monday morning.
The Swanton Fire Department responded to a home on Mountain View Drive in Swanton at about 3:40 a.m., and found the back side of the house on fire, with high winds driving the flames inside and throughout the house – making it a difficult fire to fight.The five people inside the home at the time of the fire all made it out with no injuries.
Swanton Fire received help from St. Albans Town, St. Albans City, Highgate, Sheldon and Phillipsburg, QC, fire departments. The Missisquoi Valley Rescue Squad and the American Red Cross also responded.
The residence could not be saved and is considered a total loss, with damages in excess of $750,000.