MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police say a local man who had threatened to commit “suicide by cop” is dead after an exchange of gunfire in the Vermont community.
Police say they don’t know if an officer fired the shot or shots that killed 57-year-old George Demarais on Thursday afternoon or if he shot himself.
At midday Thursday police say they received a 911 call from Demarais who said he wanted to die via “suicide by cop.”
After police responded Demarais came out of his home carrying a long gun. A note taped to his car read, “Come and get me, I hope you can shoot straight because I can.”
Police say both police and Demarais fired their weapons, but they did not say how many shots were fired.
State Police are investigating.
- RobinAHersey on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- BTresident on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- lorac odraned on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on St. Michael’s student arrested in connection with bridge jump