BURLINGTON — The Vermont Health Department is investigating an infant salmonella case after child came in contact with a chick.
The health department says the child’s illness was caused by the same strain of salmonella discovered in the chicks that were recently purchased from a local feed store.
The health department says dozens of people in several states have also been infected with the same strain of salmonella.
Vermont officials are working with other state health departments, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the United States Department of Agriculture to find the source of the baby poultry infection and stop the outbreak.
Among the suggestions to reduce the spread off the disease are not to let children younger than 5 handle young poultry.
- RobinAHersey on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- BTresident on State Police still searching for missing teenager
- lorac odraned on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on House looks to spend soda tax money on health care
- Curtman40 on St. Michael’s student arrested in connection with bridge jump